Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Week 1

Ok, so I'm not very good at blogging daily, but we had a very successful Week 1 of P90X. We did every workout and strictly followed the diet. Here's a summary of the workouts:

Plyometrics - Awesome, loved it, heart rate consistently at 145. This will really improve overall athleticism.
Ab Ripper - Effective but hard, some pretty advanced moves. Comes at the end of the workouts which makes it even tougher. Couldn't make it through the last day.
Arms and Shoulders - Good workout but really hard to keep up...had to push pause a lot btwn exercises. Once we know them it will be easier and need to get better at switching weights. We're going to write down the exercises and weights on a piece of paper that we can see so that we know what's coming.
Yoga X - Holy crap this is hard. I definitely need to get yoga blocks. The first 45 minutes is way intense. The last 45 minutes is more poses which are still difficult but a little easier. I could not do everything they were doing...not even close. I know my form is lacking. I have a long way to go with yoga but I know it will greatly help my flexibility, strength, endurance and mind.
Legs and Back - Tons of lunges and pullups...wow, good workout. Legs are/were sore. I like doing pullups and looking forward to seeing the progress we make. Excited for Kristin to be able to do one on her own...she's working really hard at them.
Kempo - We liked it but need to work harder at it. Trying to get the punches and combos down...Kristin struggled getting her heart rate in the zone.

I was really impressed with Kristin this week...she was really motivated, strong and into it. Not a word about getting up at 5 am or making elaborate meals (both things she's not real fond of).

We both like our heart rate monitors...really give you a good measure of how hard you're working and how much harder you should be working.

I love the pull up bar we put into our ceiling. I'm sending the doorway one back...just not sturdy enough.

Despite the 10 stitches in finger, it didn't hold me back. I missed the first workout this week but that's it. I'm psyched about this program...I know after 90 days I'm going to be in insane shape. Being able to do 20+ pull ups, 60 + push ups, one-arm push, etc motivates me.

We're hoping the diet will be easier this week since we've been through it once...I'm convinced it will be. We're starting to make the full recipes and freezing the leftovers (soups, sauces, etc). I also think it will be cheaper...we spent $400 in groceries this week! We will probably come in around $200 this week as there were some start up costs with spices, oils, etc. I think we will buy fruits and veggies from Costco when possible...much cheaper at the bulk we're buying (who knew we would use 10 onions and 6 shallots this week).

Tomorrow is a rest day but I think we are going to do the Stretching video and Ab Ribber...but maybe not at 5 am.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment